I got my toes in the water....ass in the sand...not a worry in the world...a cold beer in my hand...life is good today...life is good today...

Saturday, January 7, 2012

I don't really know where I am going with this blog, but I feel the need to write one because it has been a while. So my month of December started out insanely crazy. My daughters cheering team won the right to cheer at Nationals in Disney. How exciting!!! The girls did awesome, but I gotta tell you, Disney has a god damn racket going. Nationals yup, fly to Florida three weeks before Christmas and spend your life's savings on airfare, car rental, hotel, o and don't forget the Mickey Ears. Park passes and all of the crap that goes along with it. Then you get into the park and guess what you need to buy an ass load useless shit that you will never use except the next time that you visit Disney World. So these "Mouse gestapos" get you to a theme park in the middle of the "I'm going to kill myself trying to shop for Christmas season" for a proud moment of watching your daughter run through those giant Mickey ears and then they tell you that will be $652.00 for the video and the pictures being that you are so caught up in the moment, you say "omg I def have to buy all of that"
Any person male or female who dares to argue the point with me that cheering is not a sport, is clearly an idiot!!! These little girls do shit that I can not believe is possible at my age let alone their age. They flip and tumble and dance and lift chicks over their heads that are in some cases equal in body weight to themselves all while smiling and talking at the same time. They can hold a girl up over their heads and walk around with her in the air. My daughter has come home with stories of practices where she has been stepped on in the face, kicked, knocked over, and had her head stepped on all to keep her flyer from falling and hitting the mat. They practice three to four times a week and guess what you could not keep up with their work out. I know that I couldn't....These little girls rock the shit out on that mat and they dance and cheer the hell out of it. Anyone dare say to me that it isn't a sport and I will personally kick your ass. They build shit out of their bodies and throw girls that are the same weight as them over their heads, and o yeah and they catch them. Big deal you can shoot a basket threw a hoop, can you balance in the hands of two girls on one leg and lift your other leg over your head and hold it with your hand. I think not!!!!
Cheering is definitely a spector sport as well. Everyone in the stands dresses in their team colors and screams at the top of their lungs when their girl comes out on the mat. As you sit watching them you tend to forget that they are only 10 years old. O and their are some nasty rivalarys let me tell you. The coaches all play nicey-nicey...but the parents watchout!!! God forbid a rival team sits next our Moms in the stands. It becomes a competition as to who will cheer louder for their girls. And for chrsitsake, if by some awful twist of fate your team has a bad day on the mate and your rival is sitting next to you in the stands....let me say that if we weren't all civilized Moms, fists would be flying...yup cheering is some nasty shit. If you think going to a Bruins, Celtics, Pats, Sox game is nuts, than let me just tell you are sadly mistaken.
Cheering is a whole new world. I learned this three years ago at my first competition when I heard the Moms from other teams talking about how excited they were that such and such dropped a stunt. By dropping a stunt, I mean that a 10 year old girl fell from the shoulders or hands of her team mates and hit the mat below her. Yup I couldn't believe it either until three years later, there I was sitting in the stands saying to myself, Jesus Christ, I hope that they drop a damn stunt. That's when I realized shit, I am a Cheer Mom, no mercy for the weak man. I sit in those stands with my Blue and White proudly, staring down anyone who dares to look at me crossed eyed.
I will say this, I got to experience Disney with a bunch of crazy-fun and just plain awesome people. These women and you know who you are...are all friggin insane. It becomes somewhat of a cult, I must say. When the season ends everyone has withdrawls because it is so intense throughout the year. Now with that said, I will say it is intense for the Moms in a sick toddlers and tiaras kind of way. Because the girls, they are just having fun at their sport with their BFF's, heads tilted, hands in the shape of a heart.
And don't think that the Dads don't get into it as well. I have seen grown men running around arenas with painted faces and poms poms cheering for their girls. I saw one guy in a full nylon body suit with his head and face covered dancing in the stands. I guess if yo have only girls and they are cheerleaders, you have to work with it. These guys also wear all of the bling as well, baseball hats decked out in rhinestones that say cheer on the front. Nothing is to cool for them.
When the competition is over that is when the real tension occurs....every team that has competed is paraded out onto the mat. The girls all dance like crazy people to their favorite songs while the judges deliberate. The whole thing is just mind boggling...then the announce the winners and if you don't hear your team called, you know that is it going to be a long ass ride home from wherever you are. Because girls are emotional and they don't hold back. Especially cheerleaders...full on drama. Granted it sucks not to win, but hell it's damn amazing to be there in the first place.
Peace!!!

No comments: