I got my toes in the water....ass in the sand...not a worry in the world...a cold beer in my hand...life is good today...life is good today...

Sunday, July 25, 2010

My God Son....

So did you ever have someone in your life that you have just felt a certain connection to since the first time that you held them as an infant. It could be your own child the first time the doctor lays them on your chest after you give birth. It could be a friends baby that you hold and they just grab your finger for dear life and they just don't want to let go. Either way there is a certain connection that you feel like you would do anything for this child just to keep them safe and happy forever. My first experience with this feeling was when one of my very best friends in the world was pregnant with her first child. I watched as she went through everything that a pregnant mom goes through with awe...from her morning sickness, to her cravings, to her mood swings, and her ever growing belly...and then one night we were hanging out watching a movie and she said the baby is moving...she took my hand and put it on her belly and wow he was definitely moving..it was amazing and so alien to me. I mean I understood the whole process, but that was the first time that I had actually felt a baby move inside someone's body. we talked endlessly for hours about what her and her husband would name the baby and they finally settled with Matthew...it was a good name I thought that she made a great choice...

Then on August 15th 1994, my friend went into labor. Her husband being the crazy person that he is drove like a crazy person to the hospital and after may hours of labor...they had their first son. I remember being so excited to finally go to the hospital and meet this new baby that I had watched grow in his mother's belly for 40 weeks, actually I believe it was a little longer than forty weeks. Anyway I couldn't wait to meet Matthew, I walked into her hospital room and she introduced me to her new son Kyle. Kyle? Who the hell is Kyle? and what did you do with Matthew? Well true to her nature the baby's name changed during delivery and Kyle was born..

I leaned over the basinet to see the sweetest little baby boy that I have ever seen. He had a full head of blond hair and was just looking up at me like pick me up please...so I did. So you know that when you hold a baby for the first time you are supposed to make a wish for the baby for the future...as i picked Kyle up I made my wish. He grabbed onto my finger and just like I that he never let go. The instant connection was there and I knew that I would have a very special person in my life forever.

We played together, I taught him all the things that I shouldn't have..the things that if someone had taught my kids now I would shoot them...like how to say MINE...I bought him all of the presents that guess what any parent would kill their friends for buying them...like a house full of 1000 balls to jump in...I sang to him when he was sad and couldn't sleep...I taught him how to crack eggs and scramble up shells included and I taught adults that they had better eat the damn shells...we always had fun...anyway

He has never disappointed...he is gorgeous, smart, funny, considerate, an athlete...just the kind of kid that you hope for your own children to grow up to be...

This past weekend his family met us up in Maine on their way home from a family vacation...it was a great treat as we don't get to see them as much as I would like to. I looked at my friends boys who are now growing into amazing men both of which are taller than me and I just couldn't believe that the little boy who I had such a special bond with was now growing into an adult....

So as parents we always try to choose for our children the best people that we think would be good godparents for our children should they need guidance in their lives...and sometimes the choices we make aren't always the right ones. I learned this weekend that it's the child who picks their godparents...as we sat around the campfire the subject of godparents came up and Kyle feeling like he never really had a godmother in the person that his parents chose for him turned to me and asked me if I would be his godmother...That I was his choice and I realized that in that moment that the bond I felt with him as a baby he felt too...and that's why he chose me. I cried and I hugged him and told him that I would be honored...now as he approves his 16th birthday I am proud to look at him and say I have a god son...someone that I look at and know will do great things with his life...someone who choose me to play such an important role in his life...and I can wait to see what the future holds for him...I am honored....

No comments: